Friday, November 25, 2011

QUING Parties at the Palace with CHILE CON QUESO

The one day of the year when an oven malfunction can be disastrous? You guessed it. I was supposed to arrive at my brother and sister-in-law's house by 4:30 yesterday.  Instead, I sent husband and kids ahead while I waited on roasted veggies and pie. By the time I arrived, a half hour late, the Queso dip we brought for the pre-dinner party was gone. I was stunned.  This recipe makes a whole lot of Queso. My only consolation? The dip is utterly irresistible. If I have a party, guests are disappointed if this dip is not on the table.  Just be sure to make it when there are lots of friends around to help you consume. Gustare!   


CHILE CON QUESO
adapted from Todd Wilbur's Super Secret Restaurant Collection


One 16oz box Velveeta, cut into 1 inch chunks
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup white onion, chopped
1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
Juice of one lime
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Two medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
Tortilla chips for dipping. 

Heat milk on medium/low.  Add Velveeta chunks, stir continuously until melted. When cheese is melted, add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes. Cook, stirring constantly, for 7 minutes.  Remove from heat, gently stir in tomatoes. Serve warm, with tortilla chips for dipping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment