Sunday, January 22, 2012

QUING Parties at the Palace with FRENCH TOAST and GARLIC KNOTS


Disclosure: I am not often a chemist in the kitchen. I am a tinkerer. I don’t watch cooking shows. I play. It’s great therapy-until I have to scrub, wash and dry all the stuff I’ve piled on the stove and in the sink. This improv philosophy works in my improv life, because I grew up in a family where the kitchen was the center of our world. Friends would come visit just to hang out at the table and listen to all the conversation, banter and teasing. I’d step off the school bus in the afternoon, smell mom’s sauce from the street- and hurry to find a spot at the table to do my homework before my siblings claimed all the chairs. Weekend mornings were breakfast fests. Holidays were bake fests. Simply speaking, I have logged uncountable hours in the 'kitchen', and I am happy there. Comfortable. It is a bit of a challenge these days, though, because many of the recipes I share with you are in my head and hands, making them near impossible to recapture, because there is no standard measurement for ‘a couple shakes’ or ‘a splash or two.’

Today’s recipes are those kinds of recipes. They are super simple, and since I have a staff of one-and an 8 week old puppy-I am loving simple this week. Simple dishes, twists and fixes really do make the ordinary extraordinary. Making cake or cupcakes from a box mix? Add milk instead of water, and friends will think  those cakes are made from scratch. Making sauce (or gravy, as my NJ pals say?) Add a shake of cinnamon to the pasta sauce as it simmers. Yum! About to trash that four day old baguette you haven’t used? Stop! Make French Toast instead. It’s easy. Delicious. A simple twist-a splash of orange juice-makes it company fine. I have measured my French Toast sprinkles and splashes for you, so you can whip some eggs, slice some bread, and voila! The lucky someone who gets a slice or two of your French Toast is going to adore you. Gustare!

FRENCH TOAST

INGREDIENTS:

8 slices of your favorite 3-4 day old bread, or  12 inch baguette; thickly sliced
6 eggs, whipped
1/4 cup of milk (2% or whole) or Half-n-Half.
1/8 cup of orange juice
1/2- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (I start with a little less and sprinkle over toast before serving)

In a shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk, orange juice and cinnamon together.

Coat the bottom of a frying pan or large skillet with 1-2 TBL of butter, melting it on medium high heat. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up some of the mixture (make sure the bread is a bit stale, or it will soak up all of your egg mixture!) Add slices of bread to the pan and fry until bottom is golden brown.  Lifting bread with spatula, check pan to make sure it's still coated with a smidgeon of melted butter.  Add a sliver of butter to the pan if it has become dry.  Flip bread and brown on second side.

Serve hot with syrup, berries, or sprinkled powdered sugar.

Note: If you have more bread than egg mixture, improv! Simply whip another egg and a bit of milk, oj and cinnamon into the mixture you have left, then dip and fry.



Since we're already talking bread, my kids insisted I share my garlic knots recipe with you today, too. Last night I baked a couple dozen for them while they waited for dinner. The garlic knots disappeared in two minutes, so they asked if I'd make a few more. Fifteen minutes later, the second batch of bread knots were history. They are so simple to make, I don’t even have a recipe for them. Serve them as a snack after school, as an appetizer for kids or adults, or as a treat with dinner. Serve them solo, with marinara or pesto sauce for dipping, or with whatever suits your fancy. We'll make a bunch of them for Super Bowl Sunday. The kids love rolling and tying the knots- less work for me! Gustare!

GARLIC KNOTS

INGREDIENTS:

Pizza Dough: I use a Cook's Illustrated Recipe to make the dough if I feel ambitious. More often, I buy the dough at the deli of a favorite market. Whole wheat or white- your call!
1/2 cup olive oil (or more as needed)
4 garlic cloves- minced
Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese for sprinkling after baking (Optional)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Use a seasoned pizza or baking stone if you have one, or line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and rub lightly with olive oil.

Heat oil gently over medium heat. Add minced garlic, and heat until garlic just begins to turn light brown.  Remove from heat and cool while you make the knots. Transfer to metal bowl once cooled. 

Pinch 2 tablespoons of dough from dough ball, then roll and stretch it between your palms till the dough is worm-like in thickness (if the dough is too sticky, pat your palms with flour.) Tie dough rope into a knot, set aside, and repeat until you have your desired number of bread knots. Unless I am entertaining, I use half of the dough at a time, then freeze the rest for future use. Once you have a bunch of knots, drop them into the oil/garlic mixture, coating them on all sides. Remove from oil with tongs and drop onto pizza stone or pan. Bake 5-8 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown. Flip knots with tongs, and use basting brush to brush oil on top of knots. Bake another 5-8 minutes till bottom is golden brown.  Remove from oven. Spoon any remaining oil and garlic on each knot. Serve warm for best taste. 

 
Someday you'll like me, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment