Saturday, June 16, 2012

QUING Parties at the Palace with LEMON SQUARES

"Heard you make awesome lemon bars. Bring some to the party, K?"

I am always surprised when someone asks me to make lemon bars - because lemon is not my go-to flavor.  

Last night, I was determined to find out if my Lemon Squares are worthy of such praise. I set a platter filled with bars on a party table that overflowed with sweets. I moved away from the table and watched as guests non-chalantly grabbed and gulped each one of those sweet treats,  throughout  the dinner hour. By the time dessert officially began - 45 minutes later - all that remained of the Lemon Squares was a couple dozen powdered sugar trails on the dark blue tablecloth.

Welcome, Summer 2012!   

Kindly bring us lots of sunshine. Lazy days. Lemonade and lemon squares. 

Lemon, methinks I love you.  GUSTARE!


LEMON SQUARES
(from the Kitchen of Master Baker Susan Esposito)


CRUST:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup confectionary sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup melted butter

Mix all ingredients and press into a 9x13" jelly roll pan.  Bake at 350 degrees until light golden brown - 20-25 minutes.

LEMON TOPPING:
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons

Mix all ingredients together as crust bakes. Pour over baked crust as soon as you remove it from the oven. Return to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until lemon is set and crust is browned.   Sprinkle with confectionary sugar while still warm. Cool completely and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment