Saturday, April 7, 2012

LA FAMILIA

In late summer, she will leave la familia to begin college, and adulthood.

I hope she writes lots more that I can  hide in a secret spot and reread when I am missing her face, her voice, her hugs.

Pieces like this, that I shall treasure forever.

Wishing you, and your familia, a blessed holiday weekend! 
 

LA FAMILIA
written by NJ, Princess of the World 

Candles inside
the kitchen glow
bright and warm.

The room swells as
the last of my aunts
shuffles in.

Hands and hugs exchanged.

Food so much food
spread across counters.

Italian blood inherited.
Passion and noise and temper and drama
belong to my grandparents, to my uncles, aunts, cousins
Compassion and song and warmth and love
belong to my grandparents, to my uncles, aunts, cousins
And
a fondness for food.

Mangia! They eat.
My cousins and siblings smile laugh uncontrollably talk shout and
sometimes my Papa will sit back and
close his eyes and smile and
just listen.

My Grammi will not sit back. Or sit down
at all.
She stands
five-foot-one
and between bites
rages against the politici of the city and country
Quelli Sciocchi  Those fools.

hours until

Dinner is done and dessert is distributed
across the table.

The cannolis are beautiful.

No one can possibly eat anything more
and
yet -
dessert disappears in moments only.

The Sound of Music
echoes through the family room.
My aunts drink wine and
sigh and
sing out
somewhere in my youth or childhood...
My mom dances.
My uncles roll their eyes
and mock the nuns.
My dad laughs, long and low.

Parting is such sweet sorrow
Hands and hugs exchanged.

Slowly slowly
quiet.

Salute la familia.

I watch and listen and love.

There are no others
quite like these people

I call
family.

No comments:

Post a Comment